Cyclestache print 3

Above is the final Cyclestache illustration. The background bicycles looked like they were going to be too busy so I changed the pattern to wheels with curls of hair suggesting wings, flying wheels.

The first session in the print studio went well. I printed the yellow background and the pink skin color. The next session though I messed up when I left a ruler under the paper (a positioning method I was using) which caused the orange ink to darken at the edge of where the ruler sat (see the arrows in the bottom image below). After three prints, I realized what was happening and tried to fix it, but ended up getting ink on the bottom of the screen, just a number of mess-ups with the third ink. The fourth ink started out well but my pulling technique needs more practice, ink again gathered under the screen (I think I pull too much ink). Later I realized the yellow and pink were too dark anyway, so a failed print, but hopefully a good learning experience.

For theexhibit then, I made a banner print, larger than what the screen print would have been which was good, and on Epson Fine Art paper, a sharp image on a soft cloth-like paper. I printed a few extras to sell at the exhibit.

Below are some process images from the screenprinting sessions.

Cyclestache print

So I've worked through my cycling angst and have moved on to a new friendlier illustration for the Local/Euro exhibit. Here is the process so far, still some things to resolve like the mustache, the background, and some additional line work here and there. But I'm hoping to begin printing this tomorrow. The idea for this one is a combining of the mustache with bicycle wheels. The rider has multiple mustaches, each twirled into a wheel. In the background, where the wheels are now, will be a pattern of bicycles.

The basis for this portrait is an 1895 photo of Paul R. Clauss, a famous rubgy footballer from Scotland, reference found here.

Below is the line drawing from the photo reference, with additional mustaches, eyebrows, and eyes.

Below is the photo-sketch, combining the reference photo with the thumbnail sketch.

Below is the rough thumbnail concept sketch.

Cycling Print: Printshop Day 2

Day 2 in the Printshop, successful print session but I'm not satisfied with the color, too dark overall. The scale of the texture feels a bit big to me as well so I may reprint this smaller or redesign the image with a smaller scaled texture, or it could just be the color contrast. I decided to pull the print with two hands rather than use the one-armed-bandit, felt much more comfortable, more control although it's easier to get messy with the ink, and the angle of the squeegee can vary if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. The one-armed-bandit made me feel a little removed from the process, too automated.

Below is the final print followed by some process images.

Cycling Print: Printshop Day 1

Today, I was in the Printshop beginning work on the cycling print, with little progress. It's been a couple of years since my last screen printing project so it took some guidance and help from my friend Shannon Brady and a little time to reacquaint myself with the process.

Above is the final Photoshop image. I decided to print this edition without the type. Below are the two separations, printed on vellum, one for medium red and one for dark red.

We exposed one screen for the medium red, image size is 16" x 22.4."

I was using the one-armed-bandit for the first time so I wanted to use newsprint for a test print which unfortunately allowed some ink to flow onto the bottom of the screen, ruining the first two prints. Below is one of the prints, big blotchy mess of ink. Plus we noticed a filled-in spot in the screen (big white spot next to the bottom of the front tire).

So not much accomplished this first day, although I have the medium red ink mixed and one screen exposed, and I feel comfortable with the process again. We'll be back at it tomorrow with a clean screen and no newsprint.

Just realized I forgot to document this printing session. Screen was exposed for 30 seconds. Medium red was I think four parts Shop Red, one-half part Yellow, and one part White (or some mix close to that). Paper is 90lb. Stonehenge Vellum White. I'm planning for this print to be an addition of between twenty and thirty.