Magnifier lamp

magnifier-lamp-01.jpg

This winter, I decided to play around with collage again, something I haven't done for years. Early in my career, a couple of clients asked for this style. Request Magazine was one client, published by Musicland. The art director asked me to create collage illustrations for stories on bands and general music topics. The other client was the Minneapolis weekly newspaper called City Pages.

This was around the time I was going digital, so I made collages with traditional cut out paper elements and also made collages digitally with images scanned into Photoshop (Photoshop 2.0 by the way).

To create collages again, my first task was to find collaging material. I had recently inherited a large clipping file collection of images from the seventies and early eighties. To add to this material, I went about searching for old department store catalogs and old magazines. I also replenished my supply of matte medium, brushes, and x-acto blades.

With all of my supplies laid out in front of me on my drawing table, I pulled up my stool, eager to get started.

As I began looking through the catalogs and magazines, I realized one important thing I had forgotten. My aging eyes could no longer focus in on close things. Cutting out small shapes was going to prove challenging.

What to do? I remembered that one of my grad school professors used magnifying goggles when she painted so she could focus in on the fine details. I did a little research and actually found a better solution, a magnifer lamp. I mentioned to my wife and daughter that I wanted one of these lamps for my Christmas present, and of course the Manx cat I had mentioned to them previously.  

And then, on Christmas morning, awesome! I got my magnifier lamp! but no Manx cat (I really didn't think I would be getting a Manx cat anyway).

So now, cutting out little heads, like the one above, and other things would be a breeze.

Mail Me Art 2 submission

For my Mail Me Art 2 submission, I'm sending an oversized card. I used a scrap piece of board and adhered with matte medium a print of an Illustrator image I've been working on off and again for a few weeks. I repainted the white areas of the print to give it a more painterly texture and to make the white areas more opaque. Around this I painted and rubbed in some white paint and attached a few additional black drop shapes. Then I added text with a Pentel brush pen, address and "no value" labels. I filled the back with repetitive text and ink blotches. This image is a view of the front of the card at the top and the back of the card at the bottom. Still a little work to do, need to add stamps and may add some additional bits here and there. Also need to address it.